Big Little Lies

Monday, October 27, 2014

 
Big Little Lies
by Liane Moriarty
★★★★★
 
I’m officially a huge fan of Moriarty. She has an incredible skill for introducing friendly, women who seem like people you know, building up their lives and then taking a sharp turn into the unexpected. Despite the sweet friendships that sit at the core of the story, the book deals with some very serious and real problems, yet it reads like a mystery you can’t put down.
 
From the first pages we know that the police are trying to solve a murder case. Then we skip back in time to months before the fateful night of the crime. Sprinkled throughout are interviews with witnesses and suspects, adding layers of depth to the plot. We touch on topics as diverse as bullying, financial status, blended families, domestic violence, and more. The book explores the social dynamics and pitfalls of elementary schools’ hierarchy and the personal lives of some of the mothers of students.
 
Madeline, Celeste, and Jane are all mothers of children in the same kindergarten class. Jane is new to town, a quiet single mother who is overwhelmed by it all. Madeline is the brash center-of-attention who, though well-meaning, tends to stir up trouble wherever she goes. Celeste is the gorgeous wife of a wealthy financier. Each woman has a much more complicated life than what first appears to be happening on the surface.
 
BOTTOM LINE: A big book, but a fast engaging read. The author makes the characters come alive. She can deal with dark subject matter without making the whole book feel dark. She manages to hit a delicate balance between gravity and readability. I couldn’t put it down and I will be reading whatever she writes next.
 
 
*Read as part of the R.I.P. Challenge hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings.
 

9 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Yeah I'm pretty much a fangirl for Moriarty. I've enjoyed everything she has written, but I think this is probably her best work yet.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sandy - Yes, she just keeps getting better!

Anonymous said...

Someone recommended this book to me on the weekend. Thanks to your review, I'll definitely be adding it to my list! Did you feel the ending was predictable?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

ebookclassics - I definitely didn't think so. You know someone dies from the first pages, but you have no idea who it's going to be!

JoAnn said...

I thought this one was very good, too, and put myself on the library hold list for The Husband's Secret.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

JoAnn - That was my first! I want to read What Alice Forgot next.

Brona said...

I'm delighted you love this much as I did. I didn't want it to end - it felt like saying goodbye to my best friend!

I felt the book was very Sydney. Did that come across when you read it too? Or is it a universal city?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Brona - I didn't want it to end either! I felt like it could've been a story based in any city but reading it while I was in that city definitely made me feel like it was more connected to Sydney.

thecuecard said...

Oh I must this one!