Wonderstruck

Thursday, January 23, 2014


Wonderstruck
by Brian Selznik
★★★★★

When I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret I was swept away by the illustrations, the magic of Paris in the 1930s, and the sweet story of an orphaned boy living in a train station. So it would be an understatement to say I was eagerly anticipating the author's next book Wonderstruck.

Using his finely-hatched illustrations interwoven with chapters of text, Selznik introduces us to Ben, a boy living in Minnesota in 1977 and Rose a deaf girl living in New Jersey in 1927. Their separate stories revolve around the Natural History Museum in New York City and hearing loss. What at first seems completely unrelated slowly connects in wonderful ways.


Selznik allows the reader to see the world through the eyes of a deaf person and he does it in a way that takes your breath away. I wasn't completely hooked until more than halfway through the book, but when things clicked for me I remembered feeling the same way about Hugo. Once the reader realizes what he's doing it's a joy to watch the story unfold.

BOTTOM LINE: This creative author has both the skills to craft a lovely story and to paint the world in which that story takes place. I will be reading whatever he writes!

"The world was full of wonders."

11 comments:

annieb said...

I have this book in my TBR pile and think I need to move it up in the rotation after reading your review.

JoAnn said...

I thought The Invention of Hugo Cabret was wonderful…this one sounds pretty amazing, too. Love your new blog design!

Kailana said...

I can't wait until he writes something else. I was looking at his books on my shelf last night considering a reread. :)

Heather said...

Love, love, LOVE the new look! It's fantastic!

And I LOVE Brian Selznick? Isn't it amazing what he can say with no words? He just floors me with his creativity. Almost doesn't seem fair that he can draw so well and write so well too!

Heather said...

Not sure why those two sentences came up as ? Thought I hit ! Weird.... lol

Andi said...

LOOK AT YOUR NEW LAYOUT! Gorgeous to the max! And I'm glad this book was as awesome as Hugo Cabret (ratings-wise!). I keep meaning to read it. And not doing it.

Amy said...

I've been wanting to read this one or Hugo for a long time. Too many books!

And I love the new look of your blog! It looks so professional!

Sandy Nawrot said...

I loved both of these books. He is a tremendous talent!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

annieb - I've found myself recommending it to people quite a bit.

JoAnn - Thanks! I like it too.

Kailana - I am looking forward to future rereads of this one as well.

Heather - I know! He has such a gift for both storytelling and illustration. It's rare but wonderful!

Andi - Thanks! I really wanted to get a new design up in 2014 and I'm really happy with it!

Amy - Thanks! I like it too and I'll be thrilled when the final tweaks are done.

Sandy - He really is, can't wait to see what he does next!

Anonymous said...

amen to all you said, this guy is so awesome!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

wordsandpeace - I cna't recommend him enough!