Wordless Wednesday: Margaret Mitchell's House

Wednesday, November 6, 2013



In honor of Margaret Mitchell's birthday on Friday this post is about my visit to her home/museum in Atlanta. Mitchell, the author of Gone With the Wind, and her second husband lived in an apartment in this gorgeous home. It has since been turned into a museum in her honor. 




I took a tour of the apartment and saw where she typed the novel. There's also a small area dedicated to the movie with huge paintings for the costumes. I loved learning more about Mitchell, who was such a spitfire! She never did what was expected of her and frankly it's a miracle the novel was published. She had no intention of publishing it. 



I'm so glad I got a chance re-read Gone With the Wind before visiting Atlanta. It's such a wonderful novel, so full of history and life. Read it! 


More Wordless Wednesday here.

Photo by moi.


6 comments:

Bybee said...

This is one of the places I yearn to visit.

Sandy Nawrot said...

There is definitely going to be a time when I will be up there and I'm going to make a point to visit it. I love that book and that movie. It is as good as it gets!

kristine said...

Want to visit this place too... :)

Happy Wordless Wednesday! My entry is here .

Charlie (The Worm Hole) said...

Great to see your photos! I wasn't aware she hadn't considered publishing it, interesting.

Mabel said...

She would laugh at you calling it a "gorgeous home." She called it a dump. ;-) I think it's beautiful too! I loved how tiny everything was. Peggy-sized! :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Bybee - I love having a literary travel wish list. Visiting the To Kill a Mockingbird museum and courthouse in Monroeville, AL is one of my favorite memories!

Sandy - You should, especially if you're driving between IN and FL. That's why we did it.

Charlie - Isn't that interesting! Her friend knew she was writing something and basically tricked her (in a nice way) into showing it to a publisher.

Mabel - Ha, I know. It really was tiny! I think she would hate having a museum devoted to her, but her fans love it!