This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks for our Top Ten Beach Reads (however YOU define a beach read!) For me a beach read isn’t necessarily fluff, but it is a book that hooks you and keeps you entertained while still providing good characters.
1) The Harry Potter series! I love re-reading these on vacation.
2) The Count of Monte Cristo: Couldn't. Put. It. Down.
3) Paper Towns: Road trips, Florida, it's perfect.
4) The Pillars of the Earth: A big fat epic novel that you can sink in
5) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Sweet story and the epistolary style makes it an easy read.
6) Tana French’s Dublin Murder Squad series: You can't help but get caught up in these.
7) The Shadow of the Wind: The perfect mystery novel.
8) Maeve Binchy novels (Tara Road, Circle of Friends): Great characters, great stories.
Categories I don't read on vacation:
9) Nonfiction: I love this genre most of the time, but while traveling I usually avoid it.
10) Shakespeare: I read a few of his plays each year, but definitely not on vacation.
Image from here.