Happy New Year!
Friday, December 31, 2010Posted by Melissa (Avid Reader)
At the end of 2009 I made a few new year’s resolutions for 2010. My resolutions tend to be goals, rather than changes in my life. Here’s how I did…
1) Watch at least 10 Best Picture Oscar winning films – Done – Patton, Hurt Locker, Mutiny of the Bounty, Mrs. Miniver (really good!), Tom Jones, A Man For All Seasons, Going My Way, The Lost Weekend, Marty and All Quiet on the Western Front
2) Complete all of my reading challenges – Done – 2010 100 Challenge, Color Challenge, Audiobook Challenge, 101010 Challenge, Random Book Challenge
3) Travel to a new state – Done, I went to Wisconsin, Maryland and Oregon all for the first time this year.
4) Start my first garden – Done, but it was a very small garden and only the tomatoes were really a success.
5) Learn how to knit – Done, I’m still learning, but I can do it now.
6) Learn how to cook at least one good recipe to go with each meat – Done, I learned how to cook a ton of recipes this year! I should add that before this year I could make scrambled eggs and… well that’s about it. Some favorites include…
Chicken - Chicken with Pan Sauce and Havarti Stuffed Chicken
Beef – Tomato and Meatball Soup (I made the beef meatballs from scratch!)
Lamb – Lamb with lemon mint marinade
Seafood – I made recipes with tilapia, salmon, halibut, scallops, shrimp, crab legs and mahi mahi.
Pork – Pork tenderloin wrapped in prosciutto
7) Give blood for the first time (learn my blood type) – Done, B+
I am pretty proud of the things I accomplished, so here’s next year’s list.
2011 New Year’s Resolutions (goals)
1) Learn how to use my sewing machine. I will be happy if I can complete simple things, like hemming pants and curtains.
2) Complete all of my reading challenges. This includes ignoring the number of books I read in 2011 and focusing on completing some massive ones instead.
3) Again… travel to a new state, learn how to cook new things and watch Oscar Best Picture Winners.
4) Put at least $100 into savings each month.
5) Work out once a week. Yes, I know this seems like nothing, but I hate working out and will be proud of myself if I do it at least once a week.
There are a million other things I want to do in 2011, be a more patient person, work on putting others first, be a better wife, friend, daughter, sister, blogger, etc. The above list is just a few tangible goals that I can try to work towards.
Happy New Year! Bring it on 2011.
Photos by moi and a friend.