Friday Favorites: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Friday, May 7, 2010


I first read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in high school. Up until that point my favorite books were all fiction. I loved classics and mystery series, but I rarely read nonfiction. I assumed it was all dry and boring.

(The infamous Mercer House in Savannah)

Reading Midnight was a shocking experience. It was wonderful! The descriptions of people were intoxicating. I was completely enamored with the whole city of Savannah. I could picture every street and quirky neighbor. The fact that those people really existed and those things really happened just made it all the more amazing.

Since my first reading I've reread it many times. Different details and characters stand out to me each time. I also visited the city with some friends a couple years ago and seeing the restaurant, homes and cemetery Berendt describes made the book come alive even more.


(The Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah that's talked about in the book)

Midnight opened the door to the world of creative nonfiction for me. I still love fiction, but some of my favorite books are travel memoirs or nonfiction accounts of war.

Do you guys have any books like that; books that opened your eyes to a new genre?


Photos by moi.

4 comments:

Jenners said...

I imagine that traveling there would make this book come alive in a whole new way. And non-fiction has some amazing stories (as good as any novel) when it is done "correctly."

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

That is one of my favorite books! I loaned it to a friend awhile ago and she still hasn't read it. I think I'll rest easier when it's back on my shelf.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I keep at least one copy on hand to loan out (in addition to my personal copy) so I never worry about getting it back. It makes me a bit anxious if I don't know if I'll see my favorites again.

Lilly said...

Haha. There is a spell on this book. Whenever, wherever it is seen it will be bought...