Friday Favorites: The Shadow of the Wind

Friday, February 12, 2010


The Shadow of the Wind, by Spanish author Carlos Ruiz Zafon, is reminiscent of old gothic novels. The story is a heady mixture of mystery and romance, which unfolds in the winding streets of Barcelona.

Set in Barcelona in 1945, the book starts off as a coming-of-age tale, but quickly becomes more complicated than that. The story is told from the point-of-view of Daniel Sempere. His father takes him to a secret place called the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, where Daniel finds a book by the author Julián Carax. The rest of the book is a twisted path of discovery as Daniel searches for more books by Carax.

I love Zafon's style of writing. His descriptions are beautiful and his love of reading emanates from every page. In some ways the book feels like a love letter to reading. If you're a fan of dark tales like "Rebecca" I would definitely recommend this book.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I had trouble getting interested in this at first, but I kept going because it is so well written.

Jenners said...

When I first saw your review, it made me think of Arturo Perez-Reverte. Don't know if they are anything alike ... other than Spanish authors!

LPC said...

Hello! Thank you so much for the wonderful Valentine's package. I have posted it up on my blog for all to enjoy. Except the chocolate. That's just for me...Thank you again. Yours, Lisa.

myletterstoemily said...

hallelujah! a reader's blog. i have looked high and low.

thank you and i look forward to sweet reads.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

So glad you found the site myletterstoemily!

Jenners- would you recommend Arturo Perez-Reverte?

Sandra said...

I glad you enjoyed this story. I haven't read this one but I did read and review his next book The Angel's Game if it interests you.

The Angels's Game